Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Interview with Nathan Stack, Autohypnosis

Here's a little about Nathan and Autohypnosis, taken from his site: http://www.autohypnosis.net/bio.htm

"Autohypnosis is the music of Nathan Stack. He lives in Los Angeles.

The Autohypnosis sound is a mixture of '80s synthpop (Duran Duran, Depeche Mode), '90s trip-hop (Portishead, Sneaker Pimps), '70s atmospheric rock (Pink Floyd, David Bowie) and electronic-oriented music of the new millennium (Radiohead, Frou Frou, The Postal Service). Nathan, while living in Greensboro, N.C., began writing and recording demos of the music that would become Autohypnosis in 2003, and in February 2004, he launched the Autohypnosis website and put the first few demos online."

[DDTTRH]: Thank you for your interest in our effort! We love it when bands come forward and say they have been influenced by Duran Duran and speak up about them!
Here are our interview questions to you:

[DDTTRH]: What contributions do you feel Duran Duran has offered the music industry over the past 30 yrs?

[Nathan]: Obviously the band's contributions in terms of music videos and fashion are quite significant, and there's plenty of press and many awards documenting that.
But at the end of the day, I think it comes down to the music. The band created -- and continues to create -- great songs and albums. Their sound defined the early '80s, but they've never been content to live in the past. So while many of their contemporaries from that time have focused on touring behind their greatest hits in recent years, Duran Duran has forged ahead, writing new music that's simultaneously modern and classic.

I also think it's important to note that Duran Duran is and has always been a genuine functioning band. They write and perform their own music, and even though they've worked with some of the greatest producers in pop history, the drive behind the music has always come from within the band. They're not afraid to take risks, and the artistic payoff of those risks is evidenced in their albums.

[DDTTRH]: What is your favorite Duran Duran video and song?
[Nathan]: My favorite song -- by Duran Duran or anyone -- is "Midnight Sun." It's the most hauntingly beautiful song I've ever heard.

My favorite video is a bit harder to choose. I love "The Reflex" because that song and video are what got me into Duran Duran, but I'm also a big fan of the "Out of My Mind" video (I love everything from the "Medazzaland" period).

[DDTTRH]: I know you mentioned this, but how specifically has Duran Duran inspired you and your band, i.e. what area of your music did they inspire?
[Nathan]: I write and record music under the band name Autohypnosis (see autohypnosis.net), and Duran Duran, in addition to being my favorite band, is by far my biggest musical influence.

Specifically, it's their mixture of electronic and rock music -- combining the synthetic and the organic -- that inspires me and has been a constant influence on my music for as long as I've been making it. And Simon's voice and lyrics have had an incalculable impact on me as both a listener and a musician.

[DDTTRH]: What are you plans for the future ... anything you would like to share?
[Nathan]: I'm finishing up a new Autohypnosis album, which I plan to release later this year. That's the biggest personal project on my plate right now.
And, of course, I will enjoy continuing to run Duran Duran's official MySpace and Facebook pages, and I can't wait for their next album to be released.

Please follow DDTTRH on Twitter!  @DDTTRH

No comments:

Post a Comment