Friday, December 31, 2010
NUNO is a graphic designed and a fan of Duran Duran’s for many years. He currently has his own website where he showcases his graphic art (Studio N45)…and I’m sure I join many in saying that his work is AMAZING! You can tell from his site that Nuno is VERY inspired by Duran Duran. As Nuno says on his site…”I love Duran Duran and love to design. Both for as long as I can remember. How could it not be better than just to combine those two together and show it to the rest of the world?”
Nuno is also creator of the official fan page for Duran Duran in Portugal (www.duran.com.sapo.pt).
Kirk, DDTTRH: Nuno—I got a chance to look at your amazing art at Studio N45. I really like the Nick Rhodes Astronaut piece and the signed version of a Duran Duran poster you did. I also like what you did for DuranDuranFans.com. Can you tell us a couple stories about your art, where its taken you, and some amazing experiences you’ve had because of it?
Nuno: Wow. What a good way to start an interview. Thank you so much for your comment.
In fact, during all this “duranyears” I collected a lot of amazing stories. The most import for me was the one regarding the oficial poster I did for the Lisbon gig in 2005. At that time I got in contact with the promotors of the show and sent them a design ideia of the poster. They were amazed and ask me to make the oficial poster. The only thing I asked back was to meet the band and … it was a dream came true! Before the show I met the fab five and by surprise, John looked at me and said “so, you are THE nuno” …. No words! I believe that this poster is the only one on duran duran career done by a fan.
There are also stories of duranies asking me to use my design on t-shirts and some were already signed by the band. I also saw some cover sleeves I did signed by them.
Making the intro images and design layout for www.andytaylor.com; wallpapers and other designs for tigerbeat.nl and duranduranfans.com were amazing experiences to me … something that I will never forget. Nowadays, I contribute with some designs for Andy site.
Kirk, DDTTRH: How long have you been a fan of Duran Duran? What has inspired you about them throughout the years?
NUNO: Fan since 1980. Their music is an inspiration source … it’s so visual. Yes, the videos helped a lot and also the great cover sleeves. All of that...it’s a kind of art school to me. I believe that the teachers are proud with my “work”.
Kirk, DDTTRH: Tell us more about what you are doing with Duran Duran Portugal!
NUNO: This journey started in August 1999 when I decided to show to the world via web my fascination for this amazing band that keep making the soundtrack of my life. The site “Nuno’s Homepage – portuguese duran duran site” www.duran.com.sapo.pt was a big surprise to all the portuguese duranies because it was a web full of updated information with a “duranic design”. It was a way to promote DD in my country and all over the world because the site was/is a reference in the world wide web. So, everytime that there is an album out or a concert near … believe me that there are much “underground work” of promotion done by me. For instance, in 2007 I manage to provide a listening session of RCM at SonyBMG a few days before the release of the record. Apart from that, during all this years I keep giving feedback directly with some band members.
Kirk, DDTTRH: I noticed that most of your on Studio N45 is on Duran Duran, however noticed work on other 80’s artists like Flock of Seagulls, Prince, Spandau Ballet, and Pet Shop Boys. What are some of your fond memories of the 80’s?
NUNO: It was a magical decade. Full of great NEW music, amazing videos and fantastic moments. Wish I was there again but … with internet now;)
Kirk, DDTTRH: Do you graphic design professionally as well? What motivates you about it?
NUNO: I am a civil engineer but I always wanted to follow a design career. In the beginning of I designed the cover sleeves for my DD bootlegs collection (I hate bootlegs without covers) and now this, with the wallpapers, started to be my favourite hobbie. It’s something that I really enjoy doing. In 2010 I had the opportunity to make some professional works for a promotions company. I did the graphic design work for the concert of Alphaville, A Flock Of Seagulls, God Save The Queen, etc..
Kirk, DDTTRH: Am I right that Studio N45 is a play on the famous Studio 54? Tell us more about how you came up with this name.
NUNO: It was a happy coincidence. I always had the idea of making a web with all my “work” and the best way to show it is in a Studio. N45 is Nuno 45...my nickname in the duran duran world. Why Nuno45? That’s another story.
Kirk, DDTTRH: Have you signed the DDTTRH petition yet? Any special message you’d like to share with DDTTRH fans?
NUNO: Yes. The message is simple … only we (duranies) can put DD at TRH. ALL YOU NEED IS sign the petition NOW! Let’s make 2011 a memorable duran duran year.
Images by NUNO...click on image for a larger view....
Please follow DDTTRH on Twitter! @DDTTRH
Posted by ddrockhall at 7:08 PM
Saturday, September 25, 2010
For you Gleeks out there...this is a letter I sent out today, petitioning them to do a show on Duran Duran. I hope something comes of it! I will keep you informed!
Dear Glee (at Fox),
I became addicted to your show recently, thanks to my lovely wife's interest in it. I must say, I love the themes, characters, the interactions between the characters, and especially the music. I'm writing
because I can see an opportunity in your show to possibly support (even if indirectly) my grassroots movement, Duran Duran to the Rock Hall (DDTTRH).
This effort began in Cleveland, Ohio (close to the school where you set your show and home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) and its main message is to drive awareness that Duran Duran meets the criteria for Rock Hall inclusion AND has an impressive collection of songs from 1978 to the present day AND should be inducted. Not only this, but if you compare Duran Duran to other Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, you would find that the number of awards they've received and the innovation with music videos introduced (through MTV, for example early on in their career) is more than enough reason to have them inducted.
Here are some interesting things about our effort that Glee might find interesting:
* We have an open petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/duran-duran-to-the-rock-hall-of-fame/ and we are getting signatures from all around the world.
* Each week, we release on average 2 band/artist interviews...bands that have come forth and told us why they think Duran Duran belongs in the Rock Hall. Some noteable supporters include: Scarlet Soho, Scissor Sisters, M. Douglas Silverstein (writer/producer), Your Vegas, Uru, and Chicanery (Neil Carlill and Warren Cuccurullo--who used to play for Duran Duran).
* We have released press articles. Our first was in the Barrie Examiner of Ontario Canada. Please visit our www.ddttrh.info site and click on 'In the Press' for articles on this. We are set to release another one with the 'Sun Press' here in the Cleveland community.
* We have done a wealth of research on the band...including what they've done for the community, modern bands who have said they've been influenced by the band, and appearences of them in TV and Film.
* We have online presences on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Blogger, and Youtube (2 videos released to date!).
* We are in the process of translating our message into Spanish and French.
* We have a dedicated staff (one of the staff is a published award winning poet from the UK), all committed to making this thing happen. To learn more about them, please go to www.ddttrh.info and click the 'DDTTRH Staff' link.
* We have an official logo (below), a flier (attached) and are releasing t-shirts soon!
So, on behalf of DDTTRH (for more information, see www.ddttrh.info), I would like to formally petition that Glee have a special episode for Duran Duran. I even had some ideas that I think would work for the
* Kurt would relate well to Nick Rhodes and his liking for makeup. Plus, the band itself is all about 'glam and fashion' which Kurt would be attracted to.
* Finn might relate well to Simon LeBon because he is a pretty boy and a good singer.
* I'm imagining a scene between Emma and Will with 'Come Undone'.
* Since the kids feel so out of place, perhaps the song 'Ordinary World' would be applicable to them
* Or, if you go with a theme like Quinn struggling with fitting back into the Cheerios (plus the separation from her parents) after having the baby, you could go with 'Falling Down'.
* If the cast gets the opportunity to go on a yacht because they've won a major contest, 'Rio' would be a great choice.
* We have a flier that could be posted all over the High School next to the Glee sign-up lists!
Really, the depth, breadth and number of Duran Duran songs can leave you a lot to work with.
Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you about this proposal.
Lead Effort Organizer, Duran Duran to the Rock Hall - Official Effort
Please follow DDTTRH on Twitter! @DDTTRH
Posted by ddrockhall at 1:45 PM