Sunday, October 18, 2015

What's next for DDTTRH



It's the end of 2015, and I have some announcements to make in terms of DDTTRH.  Plus, I want to clarify my position on this effort as its changed dramatically since 6 years ago when it started.  And this is really for the benefit of those who have not followed us during this entire time and have not experienced this effort.  Can you believe its been 6 years?  Here are some key points...
  • DDTTRH is a shadow of what it used to be.  It no longer has a Facebook site, no longer are there artist interviews.  My last blog post on this effort was in June 2014!  You can still read some of the old interviews...they are on this blog site for now.  
  • DDTTRH no longer has a full staff that supports it, its pretty much just me and a couple others (a skeleton crew) looking over what remains.
  • Our Twitter presence (@DDTTRH) still remains.  And yes, Nile Rodgers and Scissor Sisters still follow us.  There is also a Project page at http://ddwwinfo.net/ddttrh/.  
  • We no longer have a list of supporters that people can look at.  And officially, we will not do that ever again.  First, name-dropping is tacky and it was extra work and unnecessary.  If you want to know who supports us, read the petition, look through our old blogs, see who follows us on Twitter.  Or, just tweet me @DDTTRH and I can let you know.
How the band views the Rock Hall has been made abundantly clear to us.  I speak of the iHeart Radio interview a while back (when the band answered my question about the Rock Hall--see our blogs) and also the recent Yahoo News Article that featured Simon.  I'd like to quote here what Simon said from it... https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-pressures-off-duran-duran-dont-need-the-153052592.html

"“I have a problem with the institutionalization of rock 'n’ roll,” Le Bon tells Yahoo Music. “I don’t like going places where you’ve got to wear a black tie. I just feel like saying, 'F— off!’ I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in itself is not a bad thing, but I don’t feel that I have to be placed alongside Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, the Rolling Stones, U2, and all those other guys for me to have validity. The validity that counts to me is those kids that are going be standing outside in the car park [at our concert] this afternoon. You sell one single record, and it means 100 Rock and Roll Halls of Fame.”

Given all of this and the current position we are in, it makes sense to make the following changes...

  • No longer will DDTTRH mean 'Duran Duran to the Rock Hall'.  I have decided to take the Rock Hall out of our name permanently.  To me, it's just not meaningful anymore.  In the interest of keeping the acronym, it will now mean 'Duran Duran to Timeless Rock History'.
  • We may be looking to hand off the petition to someone else, or take what is there and share it with interested parties in a creative way.  For now it will remain open.  Of course we would love to continue hearing messages of support.  Feel free to to continue to message us @DDTTRH on Twitter or direct your friends directly to the petition.
  • There will no longer be contests for DDTTRH.
  • The Top 10 Reasons and supporting work we've done for DDTTRH (formerly known as 'Duran Duran to the Rock Hall') and its petition will be left out there in some form, either on the petition itself or on a site of its own (apart from DDTTRH).  Further, if we decide to share anything about our Rock Hall work, we will do less of looking to Duran Duran's fan-base and look more to the outside.  I sense that the focused Rock Hall effort caused more friction and division with fans than I ever wanted and I want to move away from that. 
  • Nothing DDTTRH does again will be in a bold huge way (I just won't do that anymore)...but I plan to do things more methodically, strategically, and deliberately (with the new purpose in mind).
  • DDTTRH's purpose will remain as follows:
    • Ongoing research into how Duran Duran has influenced the Media
    • Raising awareness to the band and it's impact on the music industry
  • DDTTRH will still remain a project of DDWW, and the project will keep its broader focus. We may mention the petition every now and then on @DDTTRH, but no longer will it be a main focus.
  • As a matter of housekeeping, next year I will be cleaning up the DDTTRH blog site.  I basically will be removing blogs that are no longer relevant to this new direction.  I may also look to move a set of blogs to a more permanent place and close down this site permanently.  This will be hashed out next year.
As always, if you want to help with any of our DDWW projects, feel free to reach out to me at Kirk DDWW or Christian DDWW on Facebook.

If you want to know what I've learned from this effort, please read my posts about The Epiphany, my Lessons Learned blogs, or reach out to me personally at Kirk DDWW (Let's talk sometime!).  

I'm honestly done trying to prove myself to Duran Duran fans and show them that my heart's in the right place.  I know there will be people that hate me and like me for what I did or am doing with DDTTRH...whatever.  For me its been an amazing journey and it's been well worth it.

Still Notorious-ly yours,
Kirk



No comments:

Post a Comment